Great Ways to Enjoy a Healthier Home Environment
The average home contains many unseen dangers, ranging from dust, chemicals and ordinary clutter to silent and deadly gases like carbon monoxide and radon. Learning how to reduce these dangers is important for creating a healthier environment in your Austin home.
Here are some great tips for making your home a healthier space:
- Clean up the clutter. Not only is clutter a tripping hazard, but it can also attract rodents and insects.
- Always change your air filters. This should be done at least once a month to decrease dust and other airborne pollution.
- Promote good ventilation throughout your home. Good ventilation can greatly refresh your indoor air, remove toxic poisons and keep those moisture levels safe. Even something as simple as opening a window can tremendously improve your home’s environment.
- Clear the air with air-purifying plants. Houseplants, like the dracaena and peace lily, not only purify, but can also beautify your home.
- Test your carbon monoxide alarm regularly. Along with this, make sure to change your batteries at least once a year.
- Test for and protect your home from radon. This naturally occurring gas can ooze through and accumulate in your basement. A vapor barrier can help block much radon gas, as well as keep moisture at bay.
- Consider testing your home for lead. If your home was created before 1978, it may contain lead paint. When renovating, remember to use lead-safe work practices to limit the spread of dust.
- Be careful when using and storing household cleaners and pest control products. These products are known to contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) that contribute to indoor air pollution. If you can’t avoid using these products, use them in small amounts and keep them out of reach of children.
Contact the pros at Airco to learn more about creating a healthier home environment.